If you would like to suggest a site to be included here, please email me. Please also let me know if you find any of these links out of date.
"Links" title photo: Rainforest tree, Mt Wilson. Photo CP.
"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
"All things are connected like the blood which unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."
"Bird by bird
I've come to know the earth."
The rain ceases,
and a bird's clear song suddenly announces the difference between Heaven and Hell."
"Birds seem to possess something that transcends happiness or sadness
they simply are.
Birding gives me a little of that."
Jonathan Rosen, from The Life of the Skies
"Only mortals don't go birdwatching."
"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."
"I meant to do my work today
But a brown bird sang in the appletree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me."
Richard Le Gallienne,
The Lonely Dancer
Birding in Australia: selected links | Resources
Guides & tours | Bird photographers
Clubs & organisations | Environment & conservation
Useful links for visitors | Accommodation
Local community & other non-bird links
All links will open in a new window.
Birding in Australia: selected links
- All the latest bird news in Australia in one place.
- A lively discussion forum for anyone interested in Australian wild birds, their habitat and conservation. Go to the Archive to access the vast amount of information in previous postings.
- Birdwatching Australia
- A directory of Australian birding information, with listings of clubs, local guides, tours, birders' accommodation and reference material.
- Birdline NSW
- Recent sightings of interest in NSW. Produced and sponsored by Eremaea Birds.
- Birdsongs and landscapes. Vicki Powys' website.
- Bird Hyde
- "It's not all about birdwatching." Lynda Hyde's blog.
- Capertee Valley 10 July 2005
- Capertee Valley 23 July 2005
- Capertee Valley Aug-Oct 2005
- Tun-Pin Ong's blogs about his trips to the Capertee Valley. Lots of photos and information.
- Environment & Heritage Biodiversity Surveys
- Download the Vertebrate Fauna of Kanangra-Boyd, the Wollangambe and Upper Wolgan area, and more.
- Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association Inc. Includes dates for pelagic boat trips from Wollongong and other ports.
- Birding Western Australia
- Frank O'Connor's site, a must if you're planning to visit the west.
- Feathers and Photos
- A friendly and informative forum where birders and bird photographers can share their love of Australian birds.
- Linking birders worldwide. The premier web resource about birds, birding & birdwatching for birders hundreds of pages & tens of thousands of links about birding everywhere in the world.
- Lloyd Nielsen's Birding Australia
- Promoting the birds of Australia to the birders of the world. A complete directory of Australian birding, published in two editions, one designed for international visitors, the other for Australian birders.
- Birdwatching Australia Fieldguides, Books, Videos and other Products
- A listing of recommended field guides and other useful books.
- Andrew Isles Natural History Books
Other Australian birding guides & tour operators
- Inala Nature Tours
- Birding and nature tours throughout Tasmania, with Dr Tonia Cochran. Birders' accommodation at 'Inala' on Bruny Island.
- Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
- Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow is a birdwatching/natural history guide offering trips in Arnhemland and the Top End (Northern Territory).
- Alan's Wildlife Tours
- Nocturnal tours and bird guiding in the Cairns Highlands, north Queensland, with Alan Gillanders.
- Cassowary House
- Rainforest birding and nature lodge, far north Queensland, owned by Sue & Phil Gregory. The home of Sicklebill Safaris, bird tours to New Guinea, Australia and throughout the Pacific Region.
- Fine Feather Tours
- Tropical North Queensland bird safaris with Del Richards. Based in Mossman, tours visit the Daintree, Port Douglas, Mount Lewis and Mitchell River areas.
- Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
- Accommodation and camping within a rainforest wildlife sanctuary at Julatten, North Queensland.
- Gondwana Guides
- Interpreting Australia's landscapes, flora and fauna. Based near Lamington National Park, Barry Davies specialises in showing you the birds of south-east Queensland and the northern NSW region with custom-designed or 1 to 4 day tours.
- Southern Birding Services
- Bird guiding services in South Australia and beyond, with Peter Waanders.
- Find a birding guide for your next trip
- Guided Birdwatching is the link between the travelling birder and birding guides all around the world.
- David Stowe Photography
- A Matter of Light Ákos Lumnitzer
- Wildlifing Michael Todd's images and sounds
- Of Emus and Fairywrens
- Drew Fulton spent a year photographing Australia's endemic birds.
Clubs & organisations
- Blue Mountains Bird Observers
- Cumberland Bird Observers Club
- Birding NSW
- BirdLife Australia
- Previously Birds Australia and BOCA, now amalgamated.
- Australian Bird Study Association
- NSW Bird Atlassers Inc
Environment & conservation
- Blue Mountains Conservation Society
- Weeds of Blue Mountains Bushland
- Includes a listing of Bushcare and Landcare groups in the region.
- ASGAP Association of Societies for Growing Australian Plants
- Australian Plants Society
- NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
- NSW Department of Environment and Climate Change
- Hawkesbury Nepean Catchment Management Authority
- BirdLife International conserving the world's birds
- Save the Albatross
- Common Myna
- This website describes the Common Indian Myna, Acridotheres tristis, explains why it is a problem, and what is being done to control it.
- Australian Platypus Conservancy
- The cicadas of central eastern Australia
- Scribbly Gum
- A site devoted to celebrating seasonal events in the natural world with a new story every month and an interactive forum.
- Bee Green
- "Blue & Green" Sustainability Directory of the Greater Blue Mountains and Central West Region. Providing more choices to our community to act locally and help make our future more sustainable.
Useful links for visitors (Blue Mountains area)
Not just for visitors!
- Australia's Blue Mountains at your fingertips.
- Current time in Sydney, NSW
- Find out the current local time in the Sydney area, sunrise and sunset times, etc.
- Blue Mountains Tourism
- Tourism New South Wales
- NSW Rural Fire Service Blue Mountains District
- Check fire restrictions, bushfire danger and fire updates.
- NPWS Fires, floods and park closures
- NSW National Parks latest updates.
- City Rail
- Look up train timetables.
- Mount Tomah Botanic Garden
- The cool climate annex of the Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens, at beautiful Mount Tomah on the Bell's Line of Road. It's a good birding spot too.
- Mount Wilson
- Mount Wilson is a wonderful and special cool climate village in the Blue Mountains. A comprehensive website including information on Mount Wilson history, climate, accommodation, transport, things to do, contacts, and lots more.
- The Conservation Hut
- Cafe/restaurant in the national park at Valley of the Waters, Wentworth Falls.
- Central Tablelands weather forecast from Elders
- Blue Mountains Council's local weather site
- Blackheath Weather
- Climate averages for Katoomba
- Climate averages for Glen Davis
- 3 Sisters Motel
- Motel and self-contained cottage near Echo Point Katoomba.
- Elegant and spacious clifftop retreat at Katoomba.
- Lilianfels Blue Mountains
- 5-star resort and spa at Echo Point Katoomba.
- Blue Mountains YHA
- Budget accommodation in the heart of Katoomba.
- Bunjaree Cottages
- Charming, eco-friendly cottages in a perfect Blue Mountains bush setting.
- Jemby-Rinjah Eco Lodge
- A unique Australian ecotourism escape near Blackheath.
- Kanimbla View Clifftop Retreat
- Stunning eco-retreat on a 12-acre wildlife refuge near Blackheath.
For more information on Capertee Valley accommodation CLICK HERE.
- Oskas Cottage
- Self-contained studio accommodation at Glen Davis.
- Lansallos Bed & Breakfast
- Accommodation in a spacious, contemporary home.
- Glen Alice Farm
- Self-contained cottage and homestead B&B accommodation.
- Annabilla Farmstay
- Self-contained 4 bedroom cottage.
- Blue Mountains Food Co-Op
- Blue Mountains City Library
- Blue Mountains Gazette
- Blue Mountains Artists' Network
- Mount Vic Flicks
Nothing to do with birds (well, mostly...)
- Hats Direct
- The mail order service for The Hattery Australia's leading hat shop, based in Katoomba.
- Hollis Taylor
- Check out the Pied Butcherbird project.
- The Jon Rose Web
- The most radical violin and creative music website in the Universe.
- Katoomba Amusements Company
- The rebirth of a legendary theatre troupe.
Last but not least, three Festivals...
...the non-birding highlights of the year.
- Blue Mountains Music Festival
- Folk, roots and blues. Held in Katoomba on the third weekend in March.
- Winter Magic Festival
- Katoomba's celebration of the winter solstice every June.
- Lithgow Ironfest
- Last weekend in April.