If you would like to suggest a site to be included here, please email me. Please also let me know if you find any of these links out of date.
"Links" title photo: Rainforest tree, Mt Wilson. Photo CP.
"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
"All things are connected like the blood which unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."
"Bird by bird
I've come to know the earth."
The rain ceases,
and a bird's clear song suddenly announces the difference between Heaven and Hell."
"Birds seem to possess something that transcends happiness or sadness
they simply are.
Birding gives me a little of that."
Jonathan Rosen, from The Life of the Skies
"Only mortals don't go birdwatching."
"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."
"I meant to do my work today
But a brown bird sang in the appletree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me."
Richard Le Gallienne,
The Lonely Dancer
Birding in Australia: selected links | Resources
Guides & tours | Bird photographers
Clubs & organisations | Environment & conservation
Useful links for visitors | Accommodation
All links will open in a new window.
Birding in Australia: selected links
- All the latest bird news in Australia in one place.
- A lively discussion forum for anyone interested in Australian wild birds, their habitat and conservation. Go to the Archive to access the vast amount of information in previous postings.
- Birdwatching Australia
- A directory of Australian birding information, with listings of clubs, local guides, tours, birders' accommodation and reference material.
- Birdline NSW
- Recent sightings of interest in NSW. Produced and sponsored by Eremaea Birds.
- Birdsongs and landscapes. Vicki Powys' website.
- Capertee Valley 10 July 2005
- Capertee Valley 23 July 2005
- Capertee Valley Aug-Oct 2005
- Tun-Pin Ong's blogs about his trips to the Capertee Valley. Lots of photos and information.
- Environment & Heritage Biodiversity Surveys
- Download the Vertebrate Fauna of Kanangra-Boyd, the Wollangambe and Upper Wolgan area, and more.
- Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association Inc. Includes dates for pelagic boat trips from Wollongong and other ports.
- Birding Western Australia
- Frank O'Connor's site, a must if you're planning to visit the west.
- Feathers and Photos
- A friendly and informative forum where birders and bird photographers can share their love of Australian birds.
- Linking birders worldwide. The premier web resource about birds, birding & birdwatching for birders hundreds of pages & tens of thousands of links about birding everywhere in the world.
- Lloyd Nielsen's Birding Australia
- Promoting the birds of Australia to the birders of the world. A complete directory of Australian birding, published in two editions, one designed for international visitors, the other for Australian birders.
- Andrew Isles Natural History Books
Other Australian birding guides & tour operators
- Follow That Bird
- Comfortable, high quality birdwatching tours including day trips from Sydney and longer tours throughout Australia.
- Australia-Naturally Travel
- Birdwatch Australia
- Tailored small-group tours and tours for individuals arranged throughout Australia.
- Inala Nature Tours
- Birding and nature tours throughout Tasmania and Australia, with Dr Tonia Cochran. Birders' accommodation at 'Inala' on Bruny Island.
- Alan's Wildlife Tours
- Nocturnal tours and bird guiding in the Cairns Highlands, north Queensland, with Alan Gillanders.
- Cassowary House
- Rainforest birding and nature lodge, far north Queensland, owned by Sue & Phil Gregory. The home of Sicklebill Safaris, bird tours to New Guinea, Australia and throughout the Pacific Region.
- Fine Feather Tours
- Tropical North Queensland bird safaris with Del Richards. Based in Mossman, tours visit the Daintree, Port Douglas, Mount Lewis and Mitchell River areas.
- Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
- Accommodation and camping within a rainforest wildlife sanctuary at Julatten, North Queensland.
- Gondwana Guides
- Interpreting Australia's landscapes, flora and fauna. Based near Lamington National Park, Barry Davies specialises in showing you the birds of south-east Queensland and the northern NSW region with custom-designed or 1 to 4 day tours.
- Southern Birding Services
- Bird guiding services in South Australia and beyond, with Peter Waanders.
- Find a birding guide for your next trip
- Guided Birdwatching is the link between the travelling birder and birding guides all around the world.
Here are five of the very best...
- James Doyle Photography
- David Stowe Photography
- A Matter of Light Ákos Lumnitzer
- Wildlifing Michael Todd's images and sounds
- Of Emus and Fairywrens
- Drew Fulton spent a year photographing Australia's endemic birds.
Clubs & organisations
- Blue Mountains Bird Observers Inc.
- Cumberland Bird Observers Club
- Birding NSW
- BirdLife Australia
- Previously Birds Australia and BOCA, now amalgamated.
- Australian Bird Study Association
- NSW Bird Atlassers Inc
Environment & conservation
- Blue Mountains Nature
- A comprehensive mix of detailed information on the natural heritage of the Blue Mountains and artistic endeavours inspired by the local environment. The website is a collaboration of Alan Page and Ian Brown.
- Blue Mountains Conservation Society
- Weeds of Blue Mountains Bushland
- Includes a listing of Bushcare and Landcare groups in the region.
- Australian Native Plants Society
- NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
- Hawkesbury Nepean Catchment Management Authority
- BirdLife International conserving the world's birds
- Save the Albatross
- Scribbly Gum
- A site devoted to celebrating seasonal events in the natural world with a new story every month and an interactive forum.
Useful links for visitors (Blue Mountains area)
Not just for visitors!
- Current time in Sydney, NSW
- Find out the current local time in the Sydney area, sunrise and sunset times, etc.
- Blue Mountains Australia
- Visit New South Wales
- NSW Rural Fire Service Blue Mountains District
- Check fire restrictions, bushfire danger and fire updates.
- NPWS Fires, floods and park closures
- NSW National Parks latest updates.
- Sydney Trains
- Look up train timetables.
- Blue Mountains Botanic Garden
- The cool climate annex of the Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens, at beautiful Mount Tomah on the Bell's Line of Road. It's a good birding spot too.
- Mount Wilson
- Mount Wilson is a wonderful and special cool climate village in the Blue Mountains.
- Katoomba forecast from the Bureau of Meteorology
- Blackheath Weather
- Climate averages for Katoomba
- 3 Sisters Motel
- Motel and self-contained cottage near Echo Point Katoomba.
- Blue Mountains YHA
- Budget accommodation in the heart of Katoomba.
- Lilianfels Blue Mountains
- 5-star resort and spa at Echo Point Katoomba.
- Elegant and spacious clifftop retreat at Katoomba.
- Bunjaree Cottages
- Charming, eco-friendly cottages in a perfect Blue Mountains bush setting.
- Kanimbla View Clifftop Retreat
- Stunning eco-retreat on a 12-acre wildlife refuge near Blackheath.
- Cox's River Rest
- Eco-lodge set beside the beautiful Cox's River on 1400 acres in the Megalong Valley near Blackheath.
For more information on Capertee Valley accommodation CLICK HERE.
- Glen Davis Holiday Retreat
- The Inspectors Cottage and The General Managers Cottage at The Poplars surrounded by majestic escarpments.
- Glen Alice Farm
- Self-contained cottage and homestead B&B accommodation.
- Annabilla Farmstay
- Self-contained 4 bedroom cottage.
- Glenbrook Cottage
- Self-contained cottage set on 90 acres near Glen Davis.